1

Carlos Alcaraz wins Madrid Open title after marathon match

Alcaraz defeats Jan-Lennard Struff in three sets to lift his second Madrid trophy

By ATP Staff

Carlos Alcaraz captured his fourth ATP Masters 1000 title on Sunday, defeating lucky loser Jan-Lennard Struff 6-3, 6-7(8), 7-6(4) in a marathon final at the Mutua Madrid Open.

The 19-year-old Spaniard, who also won the Madrid title in 2021, saved two set points in the second-set tie-break and four more in the third-set tie-break before finally sealing the victory after three hours and 18 minutes.

"It was an incredible match," said Alcaraz. "Jan is a great player and he made me fight for every point. I'm really happy to have won this tournament again."

Alcaraz, who is now 24-3 on the season, will move up to No. 1 in the ATP Rankings on Monday. He will be the youngest player to hold the top ranking since Rafael Nadal in 2005.

"It's an incredible feeling to be No. 1 in the world," said Alcaraz. "I've worked so hard for this and I'm really proud of myself."

Struff, who was playing in his first Masters 1000 final, gave Alcaraz a scare. The 32-year-old German served for the second set at 5-4, but Alcaraz broke back and eventually won the tie-break.

"I'm really happy with the way I played today," said Struff. "I had my chances, but Carlos is a great player and he deserved to win."

With his victory, Alcaraz becomes the first player to win the Madrid Open twice since Rafael Nadal in 2017.



1